Transit, Crewmen and Other Temporary Visas

Do I need a visa if I am just passing through during travel?


Sometimes it is necessary for a person to pass through the United States in the course of travel. This could be a layover during a journey to a different destination or pass through the States as a member of a crew working on air or sea vessels. Here is a quick rundown of the different types of transit and crewman visas:


        C-1 visas are for general transit, which passes through U.S. territory. It is unnecessary to obtain a C-1 visa if travelers are from a country on the waiver list.

        C-2 This visa is for invitees and attendees to the United Nations area in New York City.

        C-3 This visa is available for foreign people visiting the United States on official government business. Their families and essential staff may receive these visas as well.

        D-1 visas are for crewmembers of an aircraft or sea vessel for up to 29 days.

        D-2 This visa applies to the crewman on a fishing boat permanently docked in U.S. territory and is only available to boats temporarily visiting Guam. It lasts for up to 6 months.


A note about transit without a visa (TWOV)


Some foreign people are allowed transit through the U.S. without a visa. These countries are those included on the visa waiver program list discussed in chapter 2.


N Visa


The N visa category applies only to a parent or unmarried child under age 21 of a foreign officer or employee of a country that is recognized by the U.S. as a member of an international organization under the International Organizations and Immunities Act. NATO members are eligible for N visas.

Leave a comment

Make sure you enter all the required information, indicated by an asterisk (*). HTML code is not allowed.