How do I apply for a green card for a relative who lives outside of the United States?

These people must apply through consular processing. The USCIS works in collaboration with the Department of State to issue an immigrant visa based on a relative’s petition when one becomes available. Then, the immediate relative may travel to the U.S. on that visa and will become a permanent resident when they are admitted into the United States at their port of entry with this method. The work takes place before arrival, and these people will enter U.S. soil as permanent residents. The processes is the following:

A U.S. citizen or permanent resident shall file a Petition for an Alien Relative (Form I-130) with the Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). This form is to establish the relationship between the citizens/legal permanent residents and their relatives. Once the petition is approved, it is transferred to the National Visa Center, which then requests additional documents to establish admissibility of a prospective immigrant. Once submitted documents are reviewed, the NVC transfers it to the U.S. Consulate at a place where the person resides. The Consulate schedules an interview and, provided all documents are accurate and the interview does not raise any red flags, issues an immigrant visa.

Leave a comment

Make sure you enter all the required information, indicated by an asterisk (*). HTML code is not allowed.