How can you get a green card through marriage?

Many people have heard stories about couples who enter into "sham marriages" between a foreigner and a U.S. citizen or permanent resident for the sole purpose of obtaining a green card. Visa applicants who travel with a fiancée or marriage visa must demonstrate that their relationship is legitimate and totally unrelated to manipulating the immigration system.


Of course, USCIS wants to ensure that green cards based on marriage are legitimate. That's why these marriage-based green cards are conditional, subject to a two-year conditional period. This period allows time for testing and further investigating for proof that the marriage is legitimate.


At least three months before the end of the two-year conditional period, the couple must file Form I-751 to have the conditions removed and a permanent green card issued.

Leave a comment

Make sure you enter all the required information, indicated by an asterisk (*). HTML code is not allowed.