Citizenship through parents.

A child may qualify for naturalization if a parent is a U.S. citizen, the child was born outside the U.S., and the child is currently residing outside the U.S.


Also, a child becomes a U.S. citizen automatically if a child was residing as a Green Card holder in the U.S. and either both parents naturalized before the child’s 18th birthday or one parent, who had the legal and physical custody of a child, got naturalized before the child’s 18th birthday. In this case a child does not have to apply for naturalization and go through the same process as other green card holders do, but instead files Form N-600 to obtain a Certificate of Citizenship.


Adopted children receive citizenship as well if they were adopted by a U.S. citizen parent before the age of 16 and resided in the U.S. in the legal and physical custody of the U.S. citizen parent for at least two years.

Leave a comment

Make sure you enter all the required information, indicated by an asterisk (*). HTML code is not allowed.